Nov 16, 2009

Assignment 6:2 audio clips at Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab

Topic: Missing Children: Lost in a Crowd
Level: Easy
Type: Announcement
Speakers: Man
Length: 20 sec.

The quiz script as below

Store Announcement:

"Hello Shoppers. We have a lost boy named Marshall who was found in the sporting goods section of our store, and he's looking for his mom. He's five years old, and he's wearing a blue and white sweat shirt, tan pants, and a black and white baseball cap. You can find him at the check-out counter at the main exit. Thank you."Store Announcement:
"Hello Shoppers. We have a lost boy named Marshall who was found in the sporting goods
section of our store, and he's looking for his mom. He's five years old, and he's wearing a blue and white sweat shirt, tan pants, and a black and white baseball cap. You can find him at the check-out counter at the main exit. Thank you."

tan: 1.a yellowish-brown color
2.(also sun•tan) [C] the brown colour that sb with pale skin goes when
they have been in the sun.
e.g. to get a tan
e.g. My tan’s fading already.

sweat shirt:A sweatshirt is a loose warm piece of casual clothing, usually
made of thick stretchy cotton, which covers the upper part of your body and
your arms.

cap: 1.a type of soft flat hat with a peak (= a hard curved part sticking out in front).
Caps are worn especially by men and boys, often as part of a uniform
e.g. baseball cap, cloth cap, mob cap

counter: 1.a long flat surface over which goods are sold or business is done in a
shop/store, bank.
e.g. I asked the woman behind the counter if they had any postcards.

section: 1.any of the parts into which sth is divided
e.g. That section of the road is still closed.




Topic: College Textbooks
Level: medium
Type: conversation
Speakers: man - woman
Length: 01:51

The quiz script as below

Carl: Hey, Sis. Are you interested in buying some used books for school? You can really save some money that way.
Ashley: Well, what do you have?
Carl: Well, let's see. I have a science book called, Today's World, and I'm selling it for thirty dollars.
Ashley: Thirty? That's a little expensive for a
beat-up book like that.
Carl: Maybe so, but I bought it for sixty. Plus, I wrote a lot of notes in the book that should help you with the class . . . if you could read my writing.
Ashley: What else are you selling?
Carl: Okay, I have English writing textbook for fourteen dollars, a math book for twenty-three, and a novel for only seven
bucks.
Ashley: Uh,
Hmmm.
Carl: It's up to you. You know, these things go fast. I mean you have to listen to my advice as your older brother.
Ashley:
Psh. I'll take the English book and the novel. I need both of those for sure. I think I'll hold off on buying other books for now. [Okay.] Teachers are always changing their minds about textbooks. [Alright.] And, what are those books?
Carl: Which ones? Ah, ah, nothing.
Never mind.
Ashley: Wait, wait, wait. Finding Your Perfect Someone. You're selling it for forty dollars? What's, what's this all about? And the price?
Carl: Well. You . . It's a . . . It's just a marital relations class. You know about finding a partner. You know, mom's always, you know,
on me about that. What does it matter to you anyway?
Ashley: Forty dollars? That's a little expense.
Carl: Well, they guarantee results, but ah, never mind. You would never understand.
Ashley: What about this one? Introduction to
Gourmet Cooking? Why did you take this class? You hate cooking.
Carl: Well, um, I have a friend who
's into cooking, and she's [She?] . . . I mean, my friend's taking the class. I mean, ugh, does it really matter?
Ashley: A marriage class . . . a close female friend . . . a cooking textbook . . . I think I
get the picture. Mom's going to be excited about this.
Carl: Ah, you got it all wrong. So, do you want to buy any of these textbooks or not?


be on someone: complain about someone or something that a person does
e.g. His wife is always on him for spending so much money on textbooks and then not attending classes regularly.

be into something: be interested in something -
e.g. My brother is really into swimming. He goes to the pool everyday.

get the picture (idiom): understand
e.g. Kathy says she doesn't want to go out with me, but I think I get the picture now. She's just not interested in me.

hold off on: wait
e.g. My daughter decided to hold off on attending college this semester.

beat-up (adjective): in bad condition
e.g. I don't care if the book is all beat-up as long as it is cheap.

1 comment: